Duke Gardens Pet Policy
- Dogs are only permitted before 10 a.m. and after 5 p.m. daily.
- Dogs must be on a non-retractable leash 6 feet or shorter.
- Maximum of two dogs per dog-walker
- No other pets are allowed.
- Dogs must remain on paths and lawns only, never on or among plantings.
- The same time restrictions apply to dogs being carried through the Gardens.
- Dog handlers are required to pick up after their dogs and dispose of waste in available trash receptacles.
- Dogs may not be left unattended.
- Duke Gardens reserves the right to refuse entry to or remove any dog thought to be dangerous to visitors or other dogs.
- Dogs are not permitted in the Discovery Garden, Blomquist Garden, buildings and special events such as plant sales, concerts and the Easter sunrise service, with the exception of service dogs as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (see below).
- Service dogs trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability will be allowed, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. Read more here.
Learn more about the challenges of dogs in a public garden in this Garden Talk column.