In every season, there is an opportunity to experience the beauty of Sarah P. Duke Gardens, and we appreciate your interest in a guided tour led by a trained volunteer docent.
2023 Guided Tour Information
Tour availability: Guided tours are available by reservation only from March 14 – November 17, 2023; Tuesdays – Fridays (No weekend or Monday tours are available.)
Guided tours in March, April, May, September and October tend to fill up rapidly. As much as possible, we highly suggest reserving your tour well in advance of your visit.
You can reserve the guided tour trolley or walking tour below via our online reservation system.
Parking: Allow ample time to arrive and pay to park prior to the tour start time. Parking is $2 per hour. More parking info here.
What to bring and wear: Bring water and any other supplies needed, and wear comfortable clothes and walking shoes.
Weather policy: Tours will go on rain or shine with the exception of lightning. In the event of a weather cancellation, Duke Gardens will work with you to reschedule your tour or refund your fee.
Safety protocols: If you or any person in your group are feeling ill, please notify us and we will work will you to reschedule your tour. If are not able to reschedule your tour due to illness, we will refund your tour reservation fee.
Tour reservation cancellations and changes: Tour reservations can be cancelled or changed up to 3 days in advance of a reserved tour. You must call 919-668-1707 or email email@example.com to arrange credits and refunds.
Guided 1-hour Trolley Tours
Aboard the 6-seat cart, this one-hour trolley tour is led by a volunteer docent, who will take you along a central path in the Gardens and give you an introduction to the highlights and history of the Gardens.
Please note the cart cannot enter the Blomquist Garden of Native Plants or the Charlotte Brody Discovery Garden
- Available by reservation only. Reserve a trolley tour via this link.
- Offered Tuesdays-Fridays at 11 a.m. & 2 p.m.; no weekend or Monday tours are available.
- Available for groups of 1-5 passengers per tour.
- Fee is $60 per tour regardless of passenger number.
- Trolley cannot accommodate any pets, with the exception of service dogs.
- All participants, including children, must use seatbelts.
- Reservations are not held without payment and an email confirmation. If you do not receive an email confirmation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please Note: Duke Gardens has only one tour trolley, which is a five-passenger cart. Multiple trolley tours are not possible simultaneously.
Guided 1-Hour Walking Tours
Exploring the Gardens on foot offers you the opportunity to explore the diverse Gardens areas at a leisurely pace. This one-hour walking tour is led by a volunteer docent who will introduce you to our plant collections, seasonal highlights and history of Duke Gardens.
- Available by reservation only. Reserve a walking tour via this link.
- Offered Tuesday through Friday at 10 a.m. & 1 p.m.; no weekend or Monday tours are available.
- Available for groups of 1-15 participants per tour. Groups with 15 or more participants cannot register online and must arrange for a walking tour by emailing email@example.com or calling 919-668-1707.
- Fee is $15 per person.
- Reservations are not held without payment and an email confirmation. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note: This walking tour might be a shared tour with others.
Questions about guided tours? Please call 919-668-1707 or email email@example.com.