COVID-19 Update: Duke Gardens is closed through the end of 2020. We do not yet have a reopening date. Read more here.
This decision is in keeping with Duke University’s policies aiming to minimize health and safety risks to the Duke community and beyond, and to encourage social distancing to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
This closure includes all indoor and outdoor areas. When we have a reopening date, we will post it here and in social media in advance of the date.
Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming visitors again in the future.
All information is subject to change on short notice. See more updates and advisories from Duke University at coronavirus.duke.edu. Read more about the Duke United campus-wide health and safety initiative.
If you'd like to be added to our email list for program announcements, please email email@example.com.
In every season there is an opportunity to experience the beauty of Sarah P. Duke Gardens.
Trained guides will lead the way on tours of breathtaking garden displays, garden architecture, native plant gardens, vegetable gardens, special collections, and Duke Gardens’ history.
Group Visits: We require all groups to register with the Gardens so we can coordinate your activities with other groups scheduled for the same day.
Please note: all tours are canceled while Duke Gardens is closed during COVID-19 period, as noted above. We are not taking tour reservations for future dates at this time.
The best way to explore this garden is on foot, led by a knowledgeable Gardens docent. Walking tours give you the chance to explore all the diverse areas of Duke Gardens at a leisurely pace. Smell the roses, enjoy the hidden gems and discover your favorite space in the Gardens.
• Offered Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 10 a.m. from mid-March through mid-November, with additional tours available at 2 p.m. in spring and fall. (All tours are canceled while Duke Gardens is
• Allow for 1 to 1.5 hours.
• We will accommodate any size group, with 1 docent per 15 participants.
• $10 per person. Advance reservations held with payment.
• We encourage reserving well in advance, as these tours fill up rapidly.
Please note: Trolley tours fill up quickly, so please reserve your tour well in advance of your visit.
The trolley tours take you along the central path in the Gardens, so you may see the blooms of the day and learn more about the Gardens' history. This tour cannot encompass the entire botanic garden, but it will give you a beautiful overview.
• Offered Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 10 a.m. from mid-March through mid-November, with additional tours available at 2 p.m. in spring and fall.
• Allow for 1 to 1.5 hours.
• $10 per person. No minimum, but a maximum of 5 people per trolley.
• Seats reserved on a first requested, first served basis with payment. Our trolley tours often fill up a week or more in advance, so please reserve as early as possible to ensure your spot.
• All participants must be seated with a seatbelt. No children may ride on an adult's lap, and children's car seats are not permitted.
• No pets allowed on trolley, with the exception of service dogs.
• Reservations are held with advance payment only.
Please call 919-668-1707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.